As you have probably noted in my IG stories, I have been truly taking advantages of the re-opening of terraces and tried, as much as I could, and compatibly with work, to have lunch outside.
I was missing my favorite places, so I mostly started from them. This week, anyway, as I was at the office, I decided to be a bit more adventurous and tried new places in Kirchberg area. On Monday, I have been to Ela Greek Cuisine and yesterday at Vida Sushi Lounge.
The experience at Ela, while service was nice and dish presentation captivating, was not impressive – I missed a lot of authenticity and flavour. Food was definitely not bad, but also totally not memorable.
Said that, I don’t hide I was a bit biased to visit Vida yesterday, basically expecting a much similar experience.
I start saying we had the most wonderful service I had in Luxembourg in a long time – which should not be taken for granted. All the three persons who served us were wonderful, accommodating our requests, following up our meal and radiant. The terrace was not full, but I really hope the same attitude will be preserved when the place will be completely booked.
I went for a Japanese mule, a Moscow mule prepared with Sake – which was deliciously presented and was also extremely balanced – I had three, so I suppose this is a good sign and I would definitely recommend you the same drink.
Now coming to food: you have one page for sushi related items and one page for warm dishes, raw bar and salads. It is not extensive but has a wide choice even for people who are not into sushi.
We went there for sushi, so we basically ignored the second page but I would probably consider it next time.
Sushi – wise you have maki, nigiri, sashimi, chirashi and similar to be ordered as single portion (x1 or x6). Very classical with some limited fusion hypes. Next to that you can order combos – let’s say, by subject: combo nigiri, combo maki, combo veggie, etc.
We went for a combo maki, a combo tuna and a gourmet combo – which is normally composed by caviar, truffle, foie gras, red scampi, fancy pieces. The waiter informed us red scampi was not available. So we had instead maki rainbow.
Our order was more than enough for two and while I was tempted by a dessert, we decided to close only with Espresso.
Total bill read 183 euro – 5 cocktails, 2 espresso and 3 combo for a total of 62 pieces (121 euro for only the sushi in two people).
Now pictures and my impressions about Vida.
What I like about Vida:
- As said, the service has been outstanding and I wish in more places you would feel so welcome.
- The Japanese mule will be my go-to cocktail every time there, for sure. Great presentation, balance, taste. Just perfect.
- Sushi was surprisingly good. It was very classic generally and, except the tuna nigiri which had definitely too much rice, was very pleasant to eat. I was surprisingly (I used it twice, right) impressed. My favorite one, which I would order again, was the California avocado, salmon and tobico which was included in the Gourmet mix. Everything was fresh and I was feeling great after lunch – you know, sometimes when you eat too much at lunch you have this sleepy / “need one liter of sparkling water” feeling, not this case.
What I liked a bit less about Vida:
- I missed a “mixed mixed” combo. Something where you can really try a bit of everything without overordering different things. Maybe in different sizes. Vida’s combo are very much specific (personally I don’t want to eat only nigiri, or tuna, or maki.. and the Gourmet one was overpriced) so I would have difficulties ordering probably next time.
- As per above, the place is not cheap. It is true, it is fresh fish and quality costs and you are also in Kirchberg, so I would not say we overpaid. We enjoyed the lunch. Still, this is not your place if you are very hungry or you just don’t want to cook tonight – and this is probably not their objective tho. I personally see it as the kind of place you go on a date or with your girlfriends before a night out, great cocktails, you share some dishes and you will probably contain the damage.
In conclusion: I honestly liked Vida. It is a very upscale fusion restaurant, with a London feeling and an exceptional service. Definitely recommended (currently) for a lunch date or a girls out lunch. Hopefully soon we can enjoy it also for dinner, as I am sure it will be mint.