Sunday is one of the night I go out most for easy dinners, those that don’t request to dress up and where you basically try to recover from a week-end floating in Gin – well, me at least.
So couple of Sundays ago we decided to try Sushi Lovers, an all you can eat Japanese / Asian restaurant, located near Place de Paris. We did not reserve: the place was quite full but there were still several tables available.
The nice thing about this restaurant is that you are allocated one I-pad per table and you do you order directly from there – it is straight forward and also funny I would say. You can order how many times you want for meal, maximum 5 items per person per order in the evening. At least 15 minutes should pass between orders. It seems complicated but it is not at all: the time and the orders are clearly displayed on the I-pad, as well as each item on the menu has nice pictures.
The menu includes several different choices: from sushi to Chinese dishes as well as dessert. Everything is included in the all-you-can-eat price (23,8 Eur per person) except very few items that have a supplement.
We ordered 5 times in total, including dessert. Only one order was just sushi while others included as well Chinese and Asian dishes. As dessert, the choice is relatively limited and we went for ice cream (all the flavors 😛 ) and fruit salad.
Enjoy some pictures followed by my impressions.
What I liked about Sushi Lovers:
- Let’s be honest: if you pay 23 eur for eating whatever you want, including fish and meat, you cannot expect to have Michelin star food. Anyway, compared to the others all-you-can-eat I tried so far, the quality of the food at Sushi Lovers was decent on average. There were great dishes: the fried duck was OMG, the Kimchi was also pretty good and I liked the grilled Japanese rolls.
- The ambience is nice, very informal, and the Ipad formula creates a nice atmosphere at the table. It is a lovely idea for me, not mentioning the fact you have quite realistic pictures of the dishes on the tablet, so you have already an idea of what to expect.
- With 32 Eur including drinks, you have an inexpensive and rather fine and various dinner, including small portions of several things. If you are on a budget, this is not that bad for Luxembourg standards.
What I liked a bit less about Sushi Lovers:
- As per above, the quality of the food was in average sufficient. There were anyway some great dishes I mentioned, as well as some dishes that were honestly awful. The steamed ravioli was one of them – their taste was between plastic and floor cleanser. All the chicken dishes were undercooked, with the center more pink than white.
- Notwithstanding the name, if you come here for the sushi, you might be disappointed. Definitely not the best sushi you can have in town and fish quality not amazing.
- Service is basically not existing: you order from the tablet, so no interaction with the waiters, but you expect at least someone to come and check for your drinks – as they are not listed in the I-pad menu. There is a: “call for service” button on the I-pad, but even through I pressed it several times (trust me, several) nobody came and I had to go back to the counter in the main room to order some more water.
In conclusion: If you are on a budget and you don’t have high expectations, Sushi Lovers is a fine all-you-can eat in town. It is perfect for a night out with friends, as the formula with the order via tablet is quite playful. The fried duck was definitely the dish I would order again.